Sign, Sign Everywhere a Sign

When I was growing up in Gainesville, GA in the 1970s/80s we had 3 families in our church who had adopted internationally.  One family had 3 bio kids and adopted a little girl from Vietnam.  Another family had 3 bio kids and adopted a little girl from Peru.  The last family who already had 4 bio kids adopted 2 children from S. Korea.  Well, that made an impression on me.  I have always thought how neat that was to be exposed to international adoption during that time frame in a town in the South.  My dad was Egyptian (d. 2002).  He came to Georgia Tech from Cairo to get his Masters Degree in the early 60's and met my mom from Carrollton in Atlanta where she was working.  What a combination!  Anyway, being from a culturally diverse family and witnessing adoption definitely had a big influence on my life. 

Then in 1980 at the age of 14 I read an article about the one child policy being enforced in China and the ramifications of that to little girls. I believe this was the defining moment for my decision to adopt from China at such an early age.  I could have sworn it was in a Parade magazine because I can still see the 2 page layout in my mind.  I called them a few years ago and they couldn't find anything about that in their archives.  Well, anyway, I saw pictures of 4 women holding infant Chinese girls in that article.  I was smitten!

 I have to mention that I collected dolls that my dad brought me from his trips abroad.  I loved and still love dolls!  My favorite was a little doll (which I still have) from the HoneyHill Bunch Play set.  That dates me!  Anyone out there remember that?  She is the Chinese doll with big glasses and a book and her name is IQ.  Stereotypical, huh?  Through the years I was always drawn to Asian dolls and artwork.  Funny since I'm 1/2 Egyptian!

God obviously had a set path for my life early on and put many signs in my way.  I am so glad he did!


"Once our eyes are opened, we can't pretend we don't know what to do. God, who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls, knows what we know, and holds us responsible to act." Proverbs 24:12.

“For with much wisdom comes much sorrow; the more knowledge, the more grief.” ~ Ecclesiastes 1:18



0 comments:

Post a Comment